Gavyn cried for the first time tonite. Not the polite tears, but the real tears. He wanted to teach Harrison so much. We all had big plans. Now our plan is to get by moment to moment.
I don't answer the phone too much when I am alone with the kids. I love you guys, but so much of the time your first question is "How are you?" I am crappy. That's the truth, but I can't say this and then go on in conversation. Brian and I were talking about this question. He said the thoughts in his head are "which level of crappiness am I feeling?" My sister asked what I was doing when she called. God bless her. This is a much easier question to answer.
Two weeks ago tonite, Brian was watching the Huskers play and I put Emi to bed. She was having a hard time falling asleep, so I picked her up and rocked her. Harrison was kicking like crazy that night and Emi turned to me and said in her very matter-of-fact two year old voice, "Harrison is kicking me." I remember it so clearly. Brian came in and we chuckled about this. He finished rocking her and I left to enjoy my little active boy. He had the hiccups later that night as we were going to bed. That was last time he voluntarily moved. What I would give for another moment.
Our amazing pastor talked at Harrison's funeral about a time when he was a little boy. He would lay down on the floor at his babysitters and watch her do needlepoint. As he would watch from the underside it looked like such a mess of strings, but from the top looking down, it was a beautiful rose. I know that this rose exists from heaven above, but I wish I could just have a little peek. Right now, I wish a lot of things.
"we know that suffering produces perseverence; perseverence, character; character, hope."
Romans 5:3-4
I have hope.We did have a good spontaneous laugh today. I purchased undies at Target yesterday and was insulted that the largest size in Hanes was a 10...those of you who buy Hanes undies know where I am going with this...so, I go to do laundry today and I am unwrapping them while reading the back of the package. A size 10 Hanes is NOT a size 10 pant...it's an 18-20 pant. Gavyn and Emi wore them around the house. One kid in each leg hole. Definetly money well spent, laughter from Brian and I is an amazing step.
I will leave you on this note of Hope.
Jenn





3 comments:
Jenn, I am so glad that you have started a blog...my blog is my safe place where I can say exactly how I am feeling, and my dear friends and family can check in on my grief journey to know what my moment by moment needs are. I am crying for you, loving you and precious Harrison, and thinking of you often (all the way from Oklahoma). I know just how proud Harrison is of his mommy. Hugs from one grieving mommy to another.
BTW...you are right, Harrison is BEAUTIFUL!
~kim
Hoping that in the days ahead you will have more laughter than tears.
I'm glad that Gavyn cried today, what a healing thing to do for both of you.
It's ok that your grief journey is ugly, your love for Harrison and your family is beautiful enough to cover it all up.
I have three children too. And two of them are in heaven. My twin daughters died in July. I know your pain. I cry with you. My prayers are with you. Jesus has our babies. They are waiting for us. -Rachel
Post a Comment