Thursday, May 7, 2009

Church Lady

Many moons ago, Brian and I were engaged, cool(er) people. We went out, stayed awake past 10pm and did stuff. In fact, Brian traveled nearly every week the entire time we were engaged, and actually, right up until we had Emi. During those years before children, we would take turns traveling back and forth. One weekend he would come back, the next weekend I would go see him...where ever that was. It was fun. I love traveling. Except, I didn't like traveling by kids. And I despised it when I would get on a flight and there would be a child sitting anywhere in the vicinity of my seat. I literally, would be watching the call button to see when I could order a drink (and I am not talking a Sonic DP!) I was always so grateful when we landed and I prayed if I had another leg to go that God would reward me and not seat a child on my flight...anywhere on my flight.

Then I had Gavyn, and since Brian was still traveling, so did we. Not as much, but still way more than most folks. And the thought never crossed my mind that there might be a "me" somewhere on the plane. Then one Sunday, we went to a different church service (same church as always, just mixed it up a bit and different service...actually Gavyn just woke up late, but anyway, on with the story.) So as we walked in, the service we usually went to, was letting out. One of the nice "church ladies" came up to me and asked if we had switched services, because they didn't like children in the earlier service! Christian thoughts did not run through my mind right then...but it did occur to me (later, much later) how I had been the "church lady" so much of my life. I scorned at the children coming on an airplane flight, and I did not like it when little ones would interrupt MY time of worship. Here I was, my full circle moment. I hate it when that happens. But it's true. We all saw Saturday Night Lives "church lady". We hurt ourselves a lot by looking at the thorn in others eye while blinded by the log in our eye, we all sin. Eww.

Lucy Swindoll spoke last year with Women of Faith and I was completely in awe when she said "God doesn't need a screen door." Yet that's what we do. We screen things for Him everyday. I catch myself worrying about things like having hope. Hello...I am a screen door. So for the rest of this week, I am going to ask God to make me less of a screen door. I know I will be asking Him for most likely the rest of my life, but I am going to be specific this week and hopefully, there will be a few more times that I will be more of an open window then a screen door.

Love,
Jenn

1 comment:

Jill said...

You can not say many moons ago. You were still a small child many moons ago. Since I've been married 3times as long as you I must remember before electricity.
Great post. Never heard the screen door analogy before.